Friday, October 24, 2008

To kanji or not to kanji, that is the question

Brendan wrote a comment on the "Hiragana and Katakana" post that I thought deserved a more considered response in the form of a separate post. He writes, "I was wondering if someone might be able to answer why so many Japanese words are [not?] written in Kanji? I understand about タバコ、but it seems to me that certain other words, like ニンジン, are never written with kanji, and I can't figure out where they might be from. Are these just more loan words, or are the kanji so obscure they go unused, or is there another explanation?" Assuming I got the omission of "not" correct, let me try to answer this.

First, don't fool yourself--I see the kanji 人参(にんじん) written in grocery stores all the time. You may not have noticed because, as often happens, those kanji you don't know blend into a blurry background and are in effect invisible. I was amused in Kyoto two years ago to see one grocer label his potatoes 馬鈴薯(ばれいしょ) instead of じゃがいも. I'm sure I had seen that 20 years ago when I was a college student in Kyoto, but then I only knew the word じゃがいも, and ignored the sign with 馬鈴薯 on it. But, I digress.

The real question is, why do some words for which there are perfectly good kanji get written in kana? It doesn't have to do with whether a word is a loan or not, even if we consider Chinese words loans. Rather, it has to do with who is writing and when. As I wrote earlier, women in the classical era (Heian) wrote mostly in kana with a little bit of kanji sprinkled in. If you look, for example, at the Tale of Genji you'll see a good example of this. But, some men of the time, such as Ki no Tsurayuki who was composing waka and of course Tosa nikki was using a similar style. So, to make a broad generalization (never a safe thing in academe!), at that time if one were writing in Japanese then the amount of kanji was relatively small. Why? Well, to be entirely academically irresponsible and write off the top of my head, I'll conjecture that part of the reason was that composing in Japanese (not Classical Chinese) was only a few centuries old, and it took a while to blend kanji into the fold. The problem with this guess is that, of course, the first texts in Japanese were written in man'yogana, which was, in effect, kanji that was proto-kana. Man'yogana--named for the Man'yoshu--were kanji used for their phonetic value, not their semantic value. Eventually the cursive form of those kanji evolved into kana, et voila!, a phonetic system was born. Man'yogana was/is notoriously difficult to navigate, and mere mortals don't do it. Maybe the swing to mostly kana usage (once kana were established) was a psychological reaction to the torture of reading Man'yogana. Just kidding. Sort of.

Moving forward, we see that over the next nine or ten centuries kanji became more common in Japanese writing, for more reasons than I can list, including the education of the author and the audience to whom he/she was writing. Perhaps the pinnacle of kanji (although, again, I have not studied this properly) comes in the Meiji Period, when people were using kanji for words like kore and sore, and even for exclamatory particles at the end of a sentence like ya. Perhaps they thought it made their writing look more sophisticated, perhaps it was just what everyone else was doing, perhaps it is what they were taught in school (none of these are mutually exclusive). This was also the period when the common practice for printers was to provide a phonetic gloss (furigana) on all words in a text, almost in a nod to the difficulty of reading it, but not really. For example, I have a volume of the Natsume Soseki complete works that has every single word glossed. It was certainly not a book printed and marketed to an illiterate audience! Rather, there is some arcane beauty to the printed word in this form, and Soseki (and his contemporaries) recognized that. For those of you taking EAJ411 next term, we'll be reading some of these texts so hang on to your hats.

Then, as we progressed through the 20th century that trend was reversed and slowly kanji usage diminished, although it has never gone to the "extreme" of Korean, where kanji (hanja)have been eliminated almost all together. The cynic in me wants to say that the culture is being dumbed down, thus less kanji, but that seems a bit harsh. But, the truth is, often writers will choose kana over kanji for their own inexplicable reasons. In EAJ410, we recently read an excerpt of a Mishima novel in which he uses kanji for a word in one sentence, and then in the next paragraph opts for kana for the same word. In these cases, all we can do is chalk it up to artistic license.

With the advent of text messaging, keitai shosetsu, etc., maybe we'll see even more changes in the near future. I can't hazard to guess what those will be, though. I mean, typing in Microsoft Word which handily and quickly finds the right kanji for me when all I have to do is enter the kana has made me more likely to use the kanji than in the "bad old days" when I would have had to pull out my (non-electronic) dictionary. The downside is that my calligraphy has suffered; really, my handwriting was much better 15 years ago than it is now. Maybe I should take Kaya-sensei's summer course on calligraphy as a refresher!

10 comments:

Bryan said...

I found this article to be particularly interesting. I as well living in the country-side of Gifu have found myself learning more and more Kanji for food items etc. that i have never thought to have existed. I never thought kanji for 南瓜 (かぼちゃ) or 檸檬 (れもん)even existed.
I am thankful my Japanese abilities have improved much more than they had being in Osaka. Being in an area where english speakers are nearly impossible to find I find myself learning more Japanese, and more kanji along with it more. I do find it slightly amusing when students are amazed that I can read and write old form kanji and rare kanji. Just because i have been exposed to it more, out in the rural areas.

feitclub said...

As much as I see these fruit & vegetable words written in kanji at the local supermarket, I also see the same words used as quiz show fodder on a weekly basis. So they have clearly slipped into some kind of "trivial" zone of Japanese knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Usually when I went to the grocery, they had both the kanji and the kana for the vegetables written on the sale signs. My question is, why use both? Is there a literacy issue there?

Susanna Fessler said...

That's just sad. What next? Furigana on the grocery signs? But seriously, perhaps there is a literacy issue here. I know what kanji people were using in literature 100 years ago, but I wonder if supermarket signs and other more mundane texts have changed, and if so, how? There's a doctoral dissertation in that, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

It's actually interesting to think about it. Obviously kanji is still widely used, but just looking at advertisements and the like, doesn't it seem like there is a huge dependence on kana now? Even whole English sentences are used at times. Of course I realize katakana has its emphatic uses and using English is sort of trendy, but I wonder how language used in advertisement has changed over the last couple of decades and if these sort of daily simplifications from kanji to kana will affect the Japanese language in the future.

Bryan said...

I have noticed since I do live in Gifu city, but a very rural part that as i get closer to the center of the city the signs in the stores do change. Where i live i see much more complex kanji and sometimes a lot of the old variants. But as i get closer to the city alot of the Kanji starts to fade away for kana. I wonder if it has to do with Socio-economic issues along with education.

(i can say my countryside school's curriculum in English alone is far ahead of my city center school i goto) can anyone else attest to this?

Shea said...

Thanks, Professor Fessler, both for explaining this niggling question and for proving that one always needs to proofread, even in short, unconsidered replies.

In re: Ashley, I too have wondered whether or not an increasing dependence on kana will affect the Japanese language, but I find it hard to believe that kanji will ever entirely disappear; having taken three years of Japanese, going back to my 100-level Youkoso! text, it's painful to read hiragana-only sentences. All my Japanese friends do say, however, that their kanji skills have suffered greatly from the advent of MSWord-type kana --> kanji converters. Of course, this meant that it was all that much more gratifying to my classes of exchange students in Tokyo when even the teachers couldn't recall kanji for certain things, haha.

Susanna Fessler said...

This comment section could get VERY long.

I agree with Ashley and Brendan about current trends in kanji and kana. For what it is worth, I've seen the trend away from kanji and toward kana since the early 1980s, and I suspect that others would say it began way before then. As non-native speakers, we naturally feel that if we've memorized a kanji, by golly, all native speakers should use it! But, everyone has a story about using the kanji for "arigato" or "mochiron" and being teased by native speakers (or, at least, looked at askance as a quaint gaijin). You can't win for trying.

As kanji fall out of favor (but, as Brendan says, probably not terminally), there is still incentive in learning the obscure ones and not just because it means you can win at bar games. If you know a broad array of kanji, historical texts (that is, things all the way from the 10th century to the early 20th) take on a deeper, richer meaning. You'll get allusions that others don't, you'll laugh at the jokes, you'll just feel better. I remember well a TV show that ridiculed a brainless actress (if she were American, I'm sure she'd be blond) for reading 流石 as "ryuseki." No, I'm not going to tell you what the correct pronunciation is. Go look it up. The point was that people worth their salt know these words, and the Jessica Simpsons of the world do not. Which camp you'd like to be in is your choice.

Anonymous said...

>Bryan

I've definitely noticed kanji used more frequently the further one gets from the city center and kana used pretty much all over the place within the metropolitan areas, you're right!

>Brendan

I think it's easier for native Japanese speakers to decipher the meaning of words written in kana from the context of the sentence than it is for us. But, the kanji conversion tool you mentioned brings up a good point. It kind of reminds me of how spell check has completely obliterated my ability to spell without it. I will admit, since I now use Japanese primarily on my computer for communication uses, when I hit that space bar to turn my kana into kanji, I can recognize whether or not it is the correct compound, and I can recognize compounds and understand them when I'm reading, but if you told me to reproduce the same compound on paper without looking, forget it. I wonder if some Japanese are starting to feel the same way. While I know kanji will always be important in formal use such as for academia, not everyone is so well educated. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I know one of our favorite restaurant owners in Makino confessed that he could barely read the newspaper because of all the kanji, and he was middle-aged.

Bryan said...

I agree with Ashley, my Kanji reading ability is by far stronger then my ability to write. Thank fully living in the country side (and those kanji quizzes on tv and in school) has brought my kanji comprehension up.