Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Waiting Game

A couple months ago I sent a manuscript off to a journal for consideration. The usually process is that the editor takes a look and decides if it's worth sending to outside readers. In the past I've sent manuscripts to this journal only to have them summarily rejected for some inconsequential reason ("not the length we expect" or some such thing). The rejection comes fast, within a couple weeks, and straight from the editor.

This time is different. I haven't been rejected (yet), which means that they actually deigned to send it off to outside readers. This could take months. The next step depends on those peer reviewers, who will either accept or reject it. If the former happens, there will probably be suggested revisions, etc. If the latter happens there will be withering comments about why the article doesn't deserve to be published. (If you think the comments I write on student papers are critical, you should see what peer reviewers write.)

All this is to say that we professors have our parallel experience to the students' experience of submitting a paper. But, in our world, the process is drawn out with exquisite anticipation of a sound mental pommeling. Sometimes I miss the day of turning in a term paper and getting it back a couple weeks later with a final grade. End of story.

3 comments:

Susanna Fessler said...

Update: the article was not rejected, but revisions are suggested (indeed, one reviewer gave me two pages single-spaced of suggestions!). Time to take out the thinking hat again.

Shea said...

Good luck, Professor Fessler!

Susanna Fessler said...

Update: the article has been accepted, but there are TWO MORE PAGES of single-spaced suggestions for the re-write, which I submitted back in January.