Thursday, January 14, 2010

Graduate Study in East Asia

More and more I'm being asked by current and former students about the feasibility of doing a graduate degree in Japan. When I was a graduate student in the late 80s and early 90s, it was not advisable--U.S. schools didn't want to give foreign institutions' degrees much respect, and I knew that eventually I wanted to do a PhD in the States. But now I think things are much different; Japanese graduate schools are courting foreign applicants, and even offering them fellowships. And, I know of at least a couple people who did a master's in Japan and later got into very reputable PhD programs in the States.

This is all probably for the better--more opportunities, more depth in one's education, etc. But I'm left without having much in the way of "advice" for my students who ask about it. I'd like to know about other experiences--comments, anyone?

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I just found this blog, so my comment is very late, but if someone happens across this post it might be useful.

I found when researching for MBA programs in Japan for my husband, there was really limited information about some of the programs, and too much about others. But if you search online for information then make an effort to communicate via blogs, networking groups etc. you can get a better idea of what the program is like from people actually involved with it.

Before researching I had never heard of Hitotsubashi University, but research showed their curriculum, faculty and focus seemed to be much more what we were looking for than the few other universities offering MBAs in English in Japan. Not to mention the price was much lower as it is a National university. After my husband was accepted, they were even listed as one of Asia's top business schools by Business Week.
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/05/0508_asia_business_schools/12.htm

That said, universities in Japan are slowly awakening to the need for international students in their programs, and the need for a broader range of graduate programs in general. They are building up their overseas connections, which can be a good indicator of the school's quality (if London School of Economics regularly sends their students there for an exchange, chances are the program is pretty good.)Many Japanese universities are starting to apply for specific accreditations which are common overseas, such as AACSB for business programs.

The Japan government, similar to President Obama, has created a goal number for foreign students studying at Japanese universities over the next few years, and while universities are gradually starting to make some changes to accommodate more foreign students, such as dedicated student service offices for international students and more programs offered with English components, they are still a long way from being as efficient as universities in the US and Europe.

Some of the universities are turning to 3rd parties to assist with international recruiting. One of these recruiting companies is Disco Inc., a long time player in the bilingual recruiting industry, they are just breaking into international education.

Still, my husband's experience at Hitotsubashi has been great so far, and I certainly encourage anyone considering grad school in Japan to not give up too easily but make sure they are fully aware of what their chosen program and school will be providing them in terms of support before accepting a place there.

Bonnie
SUNY Albany EAS Alumnus and now a veteran of the international education industry :)